Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pelotonia 2011 Update

Banners03-1
Kent called our summer, Camp Archbold. We didn’t venture far from home, but still managed to have a really relaxing, yet equally productive summer. Our main focus has been training for Pelotonia. We have been riding 6 days a week for the last 5 weeks. Those of you that know me are likely shocked by this. Trust me, no one is more shocked than me.

It hasn’t been easy. In fact, it’s been mentally and physically challenging for me. I could go on and on about my challenges, aches and pains. Kent can attest to these of mine, I’m sure. I could go on, but I won’t because I have perspective that continually reminds me that riding in Pelotonia isn’t about me. It’s a perspective,for me, gained through the real life experience of watching my Pop fight his three month battle with cancer.DSCN0072-bw
My mental and physical challenges while training pale in comparison to those he faced while fighting cancer.  Actually, there is no real comparison.

No matter how hard I think a ride is, there is always quick relief and healing at the end; a huge glass of water, food, a shower, a nap and I’m basically like new again. For my Pop, these simple things offered no relief from his constant pain and suffering. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge that I do think he had moments of relief. Relief found only by resting in his faith. And as faithful as he was I think these moments of relief took all the energy he had. That’s how hard cancer is.

So when I feel like I want to quit or even skip a training ride, I quickly cling to this perspective. A perspective that reminds me cancer isn’t a choice that can be skipped when it’s too hard. A perspective that won’t allow me to give up.

sectionheader-rider-profile
Pelotonia is just three short weeks away. To read my profile you can click on the green bar above or visit my rider profile here. I’ve raised almost $1130.00 of my $1800.00 goal. I am so thankful for the support of my family, friends and coworkers!

4 comments:

  1. Meg-
    Just tears especially when I see that pic of you and Em with your Pop. Very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is AWESOME you are doing this! And I love your perspective. so very true. goodluck riding! you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why you make me cry for?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a good girl, Meg. Your dad is smiling right now at all your hard work and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete